POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : underwater caustics examples : Re: underwater caustics examples - now calling Christoph Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: underwater caustics examples - now calling Christoph
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 21 Sep 2002 04:04:11
Message: <3d8c27fb$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Actually I've realised the main problem I've been running into is too low a
> photon count. I've switched to using spacing and am getting much better results.

FWIW and if I'm not mistaken, count and spacing are two ways of
specifying the same thing; either way, X number of photons are
generated, with the only difference being that count lets you set the
number directly while spacing makes POV-Ray determine how many to
generate (not as useful as it sounds, since AFAIK there's no way to
reconcile spacing with any meaningful real-world value, and if you set
spacing too large, POV-Ray won't generate enough photons anyway).

If there's some reason why spacing is better than count, someone please
feel free to point it out...

That said, I find you generally need a LOT of photons to get good
results. If you use count, try something above 100000, and adjust upward
as needed.

-Xplo